Chicago is famous for its strict gun control laws — and that’s because the penalties for felony gun crimes are so harsh.
If you’ve been accused of this type of crime, it’s probably a good idea for you to get in touch with a felony gun crime defense lawyer in Chicago, Skokie, or Rolling Meadows. The consequences can be extremely serious if you’re convicted.
What Are Felony Gun Crimes in Chicago?
The unlawful use of a weapon in Chicago and the surrounding communities is a Class 4 felony, and it’s punishable by 1 to 3 years in prison.
But what’s “unlawful use of a weapon,” and how could it apply to you?
Unlawful Use of a Weapon
Even if you possess a firearm owner’s identification card, or FOID card, you can be charged with the unlawful use of a weapon if you transport a gun in the wrong way, such as storing an uncased gun in your glove compartment (or anywhere else in your vehicle). You can also be charged with the unlawful use of a weapon, even if you don’t use it to commit a crime, if you:
- Have juvenile felony convictions
- Possess a handgun while you’re under the age of 21
- Have your gun while you commit a misdemeanor drug offense
- Have a loaded weapon that’s immediately accessible in your car
- Have an unloaded weapon with ammunition readily available in your car
- Don’t have a valid FOID, but you do have a gun
- Are engaged in gang-related activity
- Have the gun during the commission of a violent misdemeanor, such as domestic violence
Do You Need to Talk to a Felony Gun Crime Lawyer in Chicago or the Suburbs?
If you’ve been accused of this type of crime in Chicago, Skokie, Rolling Meadows, or the surrounding communities, you may find it helpful to talk to a felony gun crime lawyer who can help you.
Call us at 847-920-4540 immediately for a free felony gun crime case evaluation with an experienced attorney. The sooner you call us, the sooner we can start developing the strategy that gets you the best possible outcome.
Write a comment: