Whether police suspect you of DUIrobbery or anything else, there’s one sure-fire way to make the situation worse: run from the cops.

They don’t look too kindly upon people that they have to chase, and neither do judges. That’s why it’s incredibly important that you contact a Chicago criminal defense lawyer who can help you deal with the situation.

Caught Fleeing: What Next?

People run from the police for a variety of reasons, and in many cases, it’s completely understandable. Maybe there was a warrant out for your arrest, or perhaps you had something illegal (such as drugs) on your person.

You’re likely to be charged with resisting arrest or obstructing a peace officer when you’re caught—and that’s in addition to the original offense.

What You Need to Know about Resisting Arrest

Resisting can include something as simple as pulling your hands away from the police officer who’s trying to detain you; refusal to put your hands behind your head or behind your back; or running and attempting to hide.

Resisting arrest is a Class A misdemeanor, which can result in a year in jail and fines of up to $2,500.

Illinois law says that you can be found guilty of a Class 4 felony if your resistance was “the proximate cause of an injury to a peace officer, firefighter, or correctional institution employee.” If that’s the case, you could spend up to 3 years behind bars and end up paying fines of up to $25,000.

What to Do if You’re Charged with Resisting Arrest in Cook, Lake or DuPage Counties

Remember, when you’re charged with resisting arrest, you still have to contend with why police wanted to arrest you in the first place.

There are many ways the prosecutor can approach your case if you’ve resisted arrest. Most people find it incredibly helpful to work with a former prosecutor so they’re covered from all angles. The most important thing is that you use your right to remain silent until you’ve gotten case-specific advice from your attorney; you don’t have to say anything to police or investigators other than, “I want to talk to a lawyer.”

CategoryPre Arrest
Write a comment: