Credit card fraud is a serious crime in Illinois, and it’s one that carries serious penalties. If you’re charged with credit card fraud, here’s what you need to know.
What is Credit Card Fraud?
Credit card fraud is kind-of a blanket term that includes things like:
- Making false statements to get credit or debit cards
- Possessing someone else’s credit card or debit card (without that person’s consent) with the intent to use, transfer or sell it
- Using a credit or debit card to defraud another person
- Using a counterfeit, expired, revoked, unissued or forged card
- Using another person’s credit card as collateral for a debt
- Selling or buying a debit or credit card without the issuer’s permission
- Possession of a lost credit or debit card (provided that you know it’s lost) with the intent to use, transfer or sell it
What if You’re Accused of Credit Card Fraud?
If you’re accused of credit card fraud, you may want to talk to a Chicago, Skokie or Rolling Meadows criminal defense lawyer. The penalties for a conviction are harsh (credit card fraud can be a Class 4 felony, Class 3 felony, or Class A misdemeanor, depending on the amount of property you obtained using fraud).
Ideally, you’ll be able to call an attorney before you go to court. Your credit card fraud defense attorney can answer your questions and help you when you talk to police or investigators. Your lawyer can also go with you to your arraignment – the day in court when a judge reads your charges – and enter a plea of guilty or not guilty on your behalf.
Your attorney can also defend you in court and make sure the judge hears your side of the story. In some cases, lawyers are able to negotiate with prosecutors to get their clients lesser charges (but every case is different, and no attorney can guarantee you a specific outcome in your case).
Do You Need to Talk to a Credit Card Fraud Defense Lawyer?
If you’ve been accused of credit card fraud in Chicago, Skokie or Rolling Meadows, we may be able to help you.
Call us right away at 847-920-4540 for a free case review. We’ll answer your questions and begin developing a defense that gets you the best possible outcome in your case.
Write a comment: