If you’ve been accused of a felony, it’s a good idea to get in touch with a Chicago felony defense attorney as soon as you can.
What is a Felony in Chicago?
Several crimes are felonies under the law. It’s any criminal offense punishable by at least one year in the custody of the Illinois Department of Corrections (prison).
Many offenses are felonies in Chicago, such as:
- Retail theft
- Domestic battery
- Possession of a controlled substance
- Financial crimes
- Unlawful use of a weapon
- Possession with intent to deliver
- Home invasion
- Attempted murder and murder
Classes of Felonies in Illinois
Your felony defense lawyer will explain what type of felony charge you’re facing and explain the possible penalties.
Felonies are categorized into five classes:
- Class 4 felonies are punishable by 1 to 3 years in prison
- Class 3 felonies are punishable by 2 to 5 years in prison
- Class 2 felonies are punishable by 3 to 7 years in prison
- Class 1 felonies are punishable by 4 to 15 years in prison
- Class X felonies are punishable by 6 to 30 years in prison
Do You Need a Chicago Felony Defense Lawyer?
At the Law Offices of Matt Fakhoury, we understand that being accused of a crime—any crime—is one of the most terrifying experiences you’ll ever have.
That means you need an aggressive Chicago felony defense lawyer on your side. You have a lot to lose if you’re facing felony charges, and we can help you get the best possible outcome on your case.
Call us at 847-920-4540 as soon as possible. Tell us what happened, and we’ll use our extensive experience to build a defense that preserves your rights and ensures that you have tough legal representation in your corner.
You don’t have to do this alone.
Call us or fill out our simple form for a completely FREE felony case review now.