Sex crimes are among the most serious criminal offenses, and they can often result in lengthy prison sentences.
In addition to prison time, sex crime convictions carry a social stigma that’s often impossible to overcome—even after you’ve paid your debt to society.
Most people accused of these types of offenses find that it’s best to contact a Chicago sex crime defense lawyer as soon as possible, both because of the sensitive nature of the accusations and the devastating consequences a conviction can have. Whether you’re located in Chicago, Skokie, Schaumburg or Rolling Meadows, you need to look toward the consequences you could be facing.
What is a Sex Crime in Illinois?
The term sex crime is extremely broad, and it refers to a number of offenses that have to do with sexual contact, exploitation, and soliciting.
Some sex crime charges include:
- Solicitation or sexual exploitation of a child
- Soliciting a prostitute
- Child pornography
- Criminal sexual assault (rape)
- Criminal sexual abuse
- Forcible detention
- Patronizing, pandering or pimping
- Public indecency
- Sexual misconduct of a person with a disability
- Kidnapping or child abduction when the offense was sexually motivated
- Failure to register as a sex offender
Many of these crimes require a convicted person to register as a sex offender, which means that they must register in any jurisdiction where they reside for more than three days. If you’re classified as a child sex offender or sexual predator, you’re not allowed:
- On school grounds without permission of the superintendent or school board
- In any public parks or public park buildings
- In facilities providing programs or services exclusively directed toward people under age 18 unless they owned the property prior to July 7, 2000
- Using social media while on probation, parole or mandatory supervised release
Talk to a Chicago Sex Crime Defense Lawyer Now
If you’re accused of any type of sex crime, it’s imperative that you talk to a criminal defense attorney you can trust right away.
The consequences of a conviction can be severe, and they’re not only harsh for you; it will also affect your family and friends.
This is a delicate time, and you need a Chicago sex crime defense lawyer who understands the sensitive nature of the accusations someone has made against you—and who will work hard to preserve your privacy and protect your rights. You deserve a trial attorney who isn’t afraid to take your case before a judge or jury.
Call us at 847-920-4540 for your free sex crime case evaluation. We’ll aggressively defend you against the charges and accusations you’re facing right now, and we’ll help you get the best possible outcome in your case.
"*" indicates required fields