Monday, March 20, 2017

What You Need to Know About Bond Violations in Illinois

Violation of a bail bond is a serious offense in the state of Illinois—and it could land you in serious hot water with the courts.

What is Bond Violation in Illinois?

A bond violation occurs when you do something that goes against the conditions outlined in your bond. The judge in your case is the one who sets the conditions for setting you free.
Read more . . .

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Bond Violation: What You Need to Know

Violating the conditions of a bond is a serious crime in the state of Illinois… but what is a bond, and what types of restrictions and conditions could you be facing?

What is a Bond?

In Illinois, the court can do one of two things when you’re awaiting trial: they can hold you in jail or they can release you upon your promise to come back to court for further proceedings.

If the court chooses to release you, they can require you to pay of certain amount of money and abide by certain conditions. The money you pay to get out of jail is typically called bail, and the court holds it until you show up to court—it’s a sort of insurance for the court that you’ll be back.

If you don’t show up to court, the court will keep your money and issue a warrant for your arrest; you’re going back to court either way, but if you’re arrested for not showing up, you’re going back to jail as well.

Most people must comply with Read more . . .

Monday, October 19, 2015

What is a Bond Violation?

If you’ve been accused of a bond violation, you may feel that you’ll be better off working with a Chicago criminal defense attorney who can represent you in court while preserving your rights. Many people feel this way, particularly in light of the fact that a bond violation can result in extremely harsh punishments.

What is a Bond Violation?

After an arrest, many people are allowed to give the state money to get out of jail. The money is held as a sort of “insurance” to guarantee that the person will return to go to court. In many cases, bond comes with certain conditions, which can include:

  • Checking in with a probation officer
  • Staying away from certain locations
  • Staying away from certain people
  • Steering clear of further legal trouble

The consequences of violating bond conditions can include being arrested and taken back to jail.

Sometimes the judge will allow the person to bond out of jail again; in other cases, though, the judge won’t grant any more chances.

What Should You Do if You Are Arrested for a Bond Violation?

Remember that you don’t have to talk to police. You have the right to remain silent, and even if you are innocent, it’s often a good idea to use that right.

You also have the right to speak with an attorney. Because bond violations can carry serious penalties, including incarceration, it may be a good idea for you to get in touch with a lawyer who can preserve your rights.

If you have been accused of a bond violation, call us at 847-920-4540 or get in touch with us online. We may be able to help you after investigating the circumstances of your case. If there is an innocent explanation for your bond violation, or if you did not commit a bond violation, we can help ensure that your side of the story comes out.

Friday, January 23, 2015

Want to Make a Bad Situation Worse? Run from the Cops.

Whether police suspect you of DUI, robbery or anything else, there’s one sure-fire way to make the situation worse: run from the cops.

They don’t look too kindly upon people that they have to chase, and neither do judges. That’s why it’s incredibly important that you contact a Chicago criminal defense lawyer who can help you deal with the situation.

Caught Fleeing: What Next?

People run from the police for a variety of reasons, and in many cases, it’s completely understandable. Maybe there was a warrant out for your arrest, or perhaps you had something illegal (such as drugs) on your person.

You’re likely to be charged with resisting arrest or obstructing a peace officer when you’re caught—and that’s in addition to the original offense.

What You Need to Know about Resisting Arrest

Resisting can include something as simple as pulling your hands away from the police officer who’s trying to detain you; refusal to put your hands behind your head or behind your back; or running and attempting to hide.

Resisting arrest is a Class A misdemeanor, which can result in a year in jail and fines of up to $2,500.

Illinois law says that you can be found guilty of a Class 4 felony if your resistance was “the proximate cause of an injury to a peace officer, firefighter, or correctional institution employee.” If that’s the case, you could spend up to 3 years behind bars and end up paying fines of up to $25,000.

What to Do if You’re Charged with Resisting Arrest in Cook, Lake or DuPage Counties

Remember, when you’re charged with resisting arrest, you still have to contend with why police wanted to arrest you in the first place.

There are many ways the prosecutor can approach your case if you’ve resisted arrest. Most people find it incredibly helpful to work with a former prosecutor so they’re covered from all angles. The most important thing is that you use your right to remain silent until you’ve gotten case-specific advice from your attorney; you don’t have to say anything to police or investigators other than, “I want to talk to a lawyer.”


Friday, November 14, 2014

How to Access Your Police Record in Cook County

There are many reasons you may need to get a copy of your criminal record, from a meeting with a Chicago criminal defense lawyer to discuss new charges to the expungement of old charges. While every county has a different procedure, it's relatively painless and straightforward in Cook County. 

How to Get Your Police Record in Cook County

It's generally simple to get your police record in Cook County. 

1. Call the police department that processed your arrest. Because some police departments have additional procedures, it's best to call and double-check when you'll be able to come in and get a copy of your record. You'll also need to find out what type of fee the department will charge you for a copy.

2. Bring your identification and the fee. Remember, fees are subject to change; that's why it's a good idea to call before you show up. The police department may not take personal checks or credit cards, so be prepared with the type of payment they require.

The police will send your Access and Review form, which you'll be required to fill out, to the Illinois State Police. Within 60 days, the Illinois State Police will send your record to the police department, who will then notify you that your record has arrived.

3. Pick up your criminal record. If you are reviewing your "State Rap Sheet," which comes from the Illinois State Police, you'll need to set up an appointment to see it; if you don't set up that appointment within a month, you'll have to start the whole process over again.

Local and State Rap Sheets: The Difference

You can pick up your criminal record from the Chicago Police and take it home with you. However, if you need your statewide record, it must stay at the police department -- you cannot make copies and you cannot take it with you.

If you're not sure about how this affects your case, talk to your Cook County criminal defense lawyer; he'll be able to give you the guidance you need.

, Chicago criminal defense attorney


Sunday, February 3, 2013

Probation Violations: Blog


Are you currently on misdemeanor or felony probation?  If so, the terms of your probation specify that a violation may be filed against you for any perceived non-compliance by the court. 
Petitions to violate your probation often occur in Cook County for one of the following reasons:
1. New Charges:  Being arrested and charged with a new offense can be the basis to violate your probation. 
2. Failure to Report:  Not communicating or meeting with your probation officer can also be considered a violation. 
3. Non-Compliance:  Conditions of your sentence such as community service, SWAP, restitution, or drug/alcohol classes must be completed and failing to do so may be a violation. 
At the Law Offices of M. Fakhoury, we routinely represent clients charged with violating the terms of their probation.  With offices conveniently located in Skokie and Schaumburg, we are minutes away from almost any court house in Cook County and Chicago. 
Call for a free consultation 847-920-4540 or visit us at 

Archived Posts


© 2018 Law Offices of M. Fakhoury, LLC | Disclaimer
10024 Skokie Blvd., Suite 210, Skokie, IL 60077
| Phone: 847-920-4540
1600 Golf Road, Suite 1200, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008
| Phone: 847-920-4540
111 West Jackson, Suite 1700, Chicago, IL 60604
| Phone: 847-920-4540

Practice Areas | Proudly Serving | Results

Attorney Website Design by
Amicus Creative